batter for the crepes:
5 large eggs
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup milk (preferably whole)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
unsalted butter for frying
for the filling:
1-1/2lb cottage cheese (we use a dry 4% milk fat bakers cottage cheese – Western is our go-to)
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
for the crepe batter:
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and oil until fluffy. Add milk. Beat until evenly blended. Gradually add flour, beating our all lumps. Strain through a fine sieve set over a bowl. Refrigerate covered up to one day if making ahead.
- Lightly oil a 7″ non-stick frying pan (or crepe pan if you have one) and heat over medium-high heat. Lift the pan from the heat and ladle in 1/4 cup of batter. Do this quickly and ensure to tilt the pan in a circular motion so the batter evenly covers the entire of the bottom of the pan. Quickly pour any excess batter back into the bowl. Return the pan to the heat and cook until the edges brown – this should take between 45-60 seconds. Turn out the crepe onto a clean tea towel. Continue with the remaining batter. Note, we run four frying pans at a time when we make this.
for the cheese filling:
- In a medium bowl, break up cottage cheese by hand or by beating with a rubber spatula. Add egg yolks and sugar. Squeeze or beat until blended. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
- Divide the filling among the blintzes (about 1/4 cup for 10), forming the cheese into a ‘log’ shape in the centre of each blitz. Fold the bottom of the blintz over the following, fold in the sides, then roll to form neat cylinders. Blintzes can be refrigerated, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the blintzes in batches starting with the seam side down. Do so until the filling is heated through and the exterior is crisp and browned (about 3 minutes/side)
- Serve immediately with applesauce or sour cream if desired.
More of The Latest
Ingredients for the starter: 1/2 cup flour 1/3 cup tepid water pinch of instant dry yeast for the focaccia: 4 cups flour 3/4 tsp instant dry yeast 1 1/2…
Ingredients 1 whole head white cauliflower (green leaves discarded) for the skhoug: 1 birds-eye chili 3 cloves garlic 1 bunch cilantro 1 bunch parsley 2 teaspoons kosher salt 50 grams…
Ingredients 1 1/2 cups warm water 2 tsp active dry yeast 2 Tbs brown sugar 1 tsp salt 1 cup bread flour (can use AP if you don’t have bread…