1 eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and scored
4 Tbs olive oil, divided
1 lemon, ½ cut into slices, the other half saved for seasoning
4 garlic cloves
1 Tbs tahini (we’re using smoked tahini from Parallel)
for the garnish:
1 Tbs olive oil
chopped herbs (your pick)
- Set oven to broil at 500F, thoroughly season your eggplant with olive oil and salt then tuck garlic and lemon slices into the cuts you’ve already made.
- Roast eggplant for 20 minutes, until blackened and soft (kind of like an overripe banana).
- Put eggplant in blender (or food processor – if you don’t have either of these, scoop the soft flesh out of the eggplant and put it in a bowl) and combine with 1 Tbs tahini, 2 Tbs olive oil, salt, ½ lemon worth of juice (and if you have a zester, add some of that in).
- Blend until smooth, adjust seasoning and place in serving bowl to cool entirely.
- Garnish with (in this order) a glug of olive oil, some finishing salt, cracked black pepper, herbs, pomegranate seeds and sesame seeds.