for the paste:
3 lemongrass, white parts only, outside layer removed
10 Thai chili
4 Asian shallots, peeled
for the broth:
2 cups water
2 lemongrass, white parts only, outside layer removed
5 pieces galangal, sliced
2 lime leaf
1 Tbsp unfiltered fish sauce
for the curry:
1 1/4 lbs bone in chicken thigh
3 Tbsp unfiltered fishsauce (Plaa raa in Thai/ Mam Nem in Vietnamese)
3 sprigs of dill
3 spring onions, cut into 4cm batons
1/2 cup Lemon basil or Thai basil
- Roughly chop shallots, Thai chills and lemongrass, and crush using a mortar and pestle for 5 – 10 mins to form a rough paste.
- Add rough paste to chicken thighs, using your hands to coat and marinate all over. Allow chicken to sit for about 10 mins.
- In the meantime, prepare the broth. Slightly bruise the galangal by crushing it with the mortar and pestle, crush the lemongrass and lime leaves. Toss into a medium sized pot.
- Add 2 cups water, 1 Tbs fish sauce, and heat up until a simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add marinated chicken to the broth and leave on simmer for about 20 mins (or until chicken is cooked through). Add 3 Tbs of fish sauce.
- Toss 3 sprigs of dill, 3 spring onions (cut) and 1/2 cup basil into pot until the herbs are wilted.
- Serve with sticky rice or a salad.